By: Jay Rossiter, SVP, Cloud Platform Group
Over the past two years, our teams have been incredibly focused on our mission: making the world’s daily habits more inspiring and entertaining. This focus has allowed us to launch some new, exciting products while giving us the opportunity to make the core products our users already love even better.
To achieve this, we took a hard look at our products and have shut down some of the less popular ones and integrated widely-loved features from others into core Yahoo experiences. We first announced these changes in March and April 2013 and remain committed to communicating product updates that affect our users now and in the future.
Here is an overview of our progress on this front:
- Newlook Service: On April 30, we closed the Newlook service, an online virtual makeover tool for maktoob.yahoo.com.
- Research Reports: Also on April 30, we removed the ability to generate research reports on Yahoo Finance, a little-used feature of the site.
- Bookmarks.yahoo.com: As of May 26, we have closed Bookmarks.yahoo.com. If you were using this site to get to your Yahoo Bookmarks, it’s time to switch over toYahoo Toolbar on Firefox or Internet Explorer, where you can access and edit all of your favorite bookmarks.
- People Search: As a user, you want one place to find everything you need. You can use Yahoo Search to find people, blogs, places, maps - anything. That’s why today, July 2, we are closing down Yahoo People Search, a defunct directory site that’s no longer useful. Check out Yahoo Search to find the people you’re looking for.
- Xobni: As we announced in July 2013, although we are shutting down Xobni.com and the Smartr Product Suite today, July 2, we have incorporated many Xobni-like features into Yahoo Mail (like compose auto-suggest and people-centric mail search) and the technology behind the product continues to inform our current and future user experiences.
- Yahoo Toolbar on Chrome: By July 22, the Yahoo Toolbar will be removed from the Chrome web store, to comply with recent Google Chrome policy updates. Instead, we now offer the Yahoo Extension for Chrome, which will give you quick access to Yahoo.com whenever you open a new tab. The Toolbar is still available for Firefox and Internet Explorer at toolbar.yahoo.com. Install the Toolbar and sign in to your Yahoo account to access your personalized settings.
- Yahoo Shine: We recently unveiled several new digital magazines that dive deeper into the topics our users have come to love on Yahoo Shine and offer unique advertising opportunities for brands. While Yahoo Shine will be closing on July 31, through our digital magazines, like Yahoo Beauty and Yahoo Travel, we will continue to bring these topics to life with stunning visuals, a strong editorial voice and engaging native advertising.
- Yahoo Voices and the Yahoo Contributor Network: On July 31, Voices.Yahoo.com will be shut down and at the end of August, Contributor.Yahoo.com closes. Yahoo will be notifying contributors and please refer to this FAQ for more details.
By focusing our energy on Yahoo’s four core areas — Search, Communications, Digital Magazines and Video — and the two incredible engines that power them, Flickr and Tumblr, we can make a bigger impact on the things people do everyday.
Want to learn more? Check out our Press Center.